Diarrhea Treatment at UHealth Jackson Urgent Care in Miami, FL
Diarrhea has a number of common causes, such as food intolerances, stress, and certain medications. The symptoms, which can vary in severity, include watery stools, abdominal cramps, bloating, and frequent bowel movements. While unpleasant, diarrhea is usually not serious and typically resolves on its own within 24-48 hours.
There are several home remedies available that can help you cope with diarrhea until it passes. For instance, the board-certified, UHealth – the University of Miami Health System physicians at UHealth Jackson Urgent Care in Miami, FL, generally advise:
- Drinking plenty of water, chicken broth, or fruit juice (without pulp)
- Eating bland, low-fiber foods, such as bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast (the “BRAT” diet)
- Avoiding common food-based triggers, such as sugar, sugar substitutes, fat, caffeine, spices, dairy products, beans, broccoli, and cabbage
- Washing your hands thoroughly and often
- Taking an over-the-counter antidiarrheal medication, such as bismuth subsalicylate or loperamide, according to the instructions on the label
For diarrhea that lasts any longer than 24-48 hours, you are encouraged to see a physician at a UHealth Jackson Urgent Care center in Miami, FL. That’s because a prolonged bout of diarrhea can lead to dehydration as your body loses more fluid than it can take in. As a result, your body may not have the amount of fluid it needs to function properly. Severe dehydration can sometimes impair kidney function and lead to other serious health consequences.
Additionally, diarrhea can sometimes be traced to a bacterial, viral, or parasitic infection that requires antibiotic treatment. Chronic gastrointestinal distress can also be caused by a more serious underlying condition, such as irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, or Crohn’s disease.
There are several UHealth Jackson Urgent Care centers conveniently located throughout the Miami, FL, area. We can promptly evaluate your condition and provide you with effective and affordable diarrhea treatment. Contact us to learn more or stop by one of our convenient locations today. We’re open seven days a week, 365 days a year.